Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Buttercream & Challah

Not together - two separate recipes. This weekend I made a buttercream recipe for my cutout cookies that was given by Wegmans. For those of you who don't know, Wegmans is a grocery store. This dried hard enough that you could stack lightly, but I would not stack too many on top. It worked excellent for decorating. I don't like using the Crisco in my frosting or the merainge powder and this frosting was a good replacement for the traditional "crusting" buttercream - maybe not quite as "crusting" but good enough and tasted better. The cookies came out wonderful.

Buttercream
4 cups powdered sugar
1 stick butter
1 tbsp milk powder
1 tbsp vanilla
approx 3 tbsp water (or to reach your desired consistency)

Mix all in mixer until smooth and fluffy.

I've been trying to find a recipe that matched rolls that I get at another grocery store. The bakery calls them "egg" or "bulkie rolls". So, I tried challah as I know that is a type of egg bread. This bread came out wonderful. Pretty close to the store - but maybe not quite there yet. Perhaps if I add some sugar to the recipe and divide into rolls, I will be there. I'm still searching.

Bread Machine Challah (Egg Bread)
Adapted from The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook
Ingredients: Make sure you place the ingredients in the order given.
This recipe is for a medium loaf which for my bread maker means 1½ lb (680g) loaf
¾ cup water
2 large eggs
1 tbsp honey
3 tbsp vegetable oil (I used canola)
3 cups bread flour
1 tbsp gluten
½ tsp salt1¾ tsp SAF yeast or 2¼ tsp bread machine yeast (my choice)
1 tbsp poppy or sesame seeds for sprinkling

Directions:1. Place all the ingredients IN ORDER into the bread machine. Select dough setting.
After finished, take out and divide into 3 logs approximately 12 inches. Spray baking pan with spray and sprinkle with cornmeal. Braid the logs and cover and let rise for 45-1 hour until double in size. The recipe says do not let rise too much or it will collape in the oven. Then I beat an egg and brushed it on top. You then sprinkle with the seeds although I did not use them. I baked at 375 for 30 minutes (the recipe says 35-40, but mine didn't need it). When the loaf is finished you should be able to tap it and it should sound hollow.

No comments:

Post a Comment