Monday, December 22, 2014

Christmas Cookies

I try to make a few new Christmas Cookie recipes every year.  This year I got a sprtiz gun so I used a regular spritz cookie out of the recipe book that came with the gun and then I also make these smores grahams.  They were very good.  One tip I would suggest is to use a flatter shape so they don't turn over when you put them back in the oven.

Smores Spritz Cookies

Ingredients

  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick or 4 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 24 mini marshmallows
  • 2-4 ounces chopped semisweet chocolate


Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 375F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, graham cracker crumbs, cinnamon, and salt.
  3. In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until light and creamy, about 2-3 minutes. Beat in the egg and vanilla (the dough may look curdled - keep going). Gradually beat in the flour mixture.
  4. Fill a cookie press with the dough* and press out shapes onto the cookie sheets. Bake 8-11 minutes or until golden brown and firm. Cool for 1 minute then remove to a cooling rack.
  5. Once the cookies are completely cool, place half of the cookies on a cookie sheet, flat side up. Top with 1 mini marshmallow. Place under a broiler until marshmallows are puffed and toasted. Immediately top with the remaining cookies, flat side down, to form sandwiches. Cool.
  6. Melt 2 ounces chocolate in a narrow yet deep enough bowl or cup for dunking. Dip half of each cookie into the chocolate. If needed, melt the remaining chocolate. Let harden before serving. Store in an airtight container (if chocolate starts to melt, store in the refrigerator).

Notes
*Spritz cookie dough needs to be really soft and slightly sticky in order to work. If you feel that your dough is too soft, chill in the refrigerator for 5-10 minutes.
 
Not ready to give up the lemon phase quite yet, I also make these.  They were better than the other recipe I tried, I liked the icing, but still I'm not sure I would make them again.  I used lemon heads because that is what I had on hand.
 
The Cookie Jar – Lemon Drop Cookies
 
Serves: 5 dozen
Ingredients
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1½ c butter/shortening (I used ½ c butter and 1 c shortening)
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tsp lemon extract
  • 4 cups flour
  • 1½ tsp soda
  • 1½ tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • finely chopped zest of 1 lemon
  • 6 oz. package crushed lemon drops
  • 1 cup powdered sugar (I doubled this)
  • juice of 1 lemon (double)
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. Cream sugar and shortening in your mixer with the paddle attachment until light and fluffy.
  3. Add eggs and flavoring and blend well.
  4. Sift dry ingredients and gradually add to wet mixture.
  5. Add lemon zest and crushed lemon drops.
  6. Roll in balls, flatten with a fork.
  7. Bake on parchment paper for 10-12 minutes.
  8. Whisk together powdered sugar and lemon juice to make a glaze.
  9. Cool 1-2 minutes, brush with glaze.
 
I used my favorite oatmeal peanut butter cookie recipe to make the reese's peanut butter cup in the mini muffin pan recipe.  The cookie is not as sturdy as the original recipe so I found them to be a bit crumblier, but they still did come out good.  I baked them at a lower temp (350) but baked closer to 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment