Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Brick Oven Pizza Crust

I have my pizza crust that I usually used but decided to try a new one. When I made this I didn't have any but my sons devoured it and said it tasted just like we got it from a pizza place. My only complaint is that it didn't brown well. It was a very "white" crust. I think I may try it again and add a little sugar to see what happens. I mixed in my bread machine and then just took it out after 10 minutes or so. I made it into 2 pizzas. (I didn't make the sauce.

Brick Oven Pizza (from allrecipes.com)

Ingredients

Original recipe makes 2 pizzas
1 teaspoonactive dry yeast
1/4 cupwarm water
1 cupcold water
1 teaspoonsalt
3 cupsbread flour
6 ounceslow moisture mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
1/2 cupno salt added canned crushed tomatoes
1/4 teaspoonfreshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoondried oregano
3 tablespoonsextra-virgin olive oil
6 leavesfresh basil, torn

Directions
  1. Sprinkle yeast over warm water in a large bowl. Let stand for 5 minutes to proof. Stir in salt and cold water, then stir in the flour about 1 cup at a time. When the dough is together enough to remove from the bowl, knead on a floured surface until smooth, about 10 minutes. Divide into two pieces, and form each one into a tight ball. Coat the dough balls with olive oil, and refrigerate in a sealed container for at least 16 hours. Be sure to use a big enough container to allow the dough to rise. Remove the dough from the refrigerator one hour prior to using.
  2. Preheat the oven, with a pizza stone on the lowest rack, to 550 degrees F. Lightly dust a pizza peel with flour.
  3. Using one ball of dough at a time, lightly dust the dough with flour, and stretch gradually until it is about 14 inches in diameter, or about as big around as the pizza stone. Place on the floured peel. Place thin slices of mozzarella over the crust, then grind a liberal amount of black pepper over it. Sprinkle with dried oregano. Randomly arrange crushed tomatoes, leaving some empty areas. Drizzle olive oil over the top.
  4. With a quick back and forth jerk, make sure the dough will release from the peel easily. Place the tip of the peel at the back of the preheated pizza stone, and remove peel so that the pizza is left on the stone.
  5. Bake for 4 to 6 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the crust begins to brown. Remove from the oven by sliding the peel beneath the pizza. Sprinkle a few basil leaves randomly over the pizza. Cut into wedges and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment