Pepper Jack Mac and Cheese
Pepper Jack Mac and Cheese – creamy mac with a kick!
- 4oz. macaroni pasta, uncooked
- 1 and 1/2 Tbsp unsalted or salted butter
- 1 and 1/2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 and 1/2 c whole milk
- 1 and 1/2 c grated Pepper Jack cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 tsp crushed red peppers
- 3 Tbsp salted butter
- 1/4 c breadcrumbs
- 3/4 c crushed tortilla chips
- jalapeno slices
for the mac and cheese:
for the crunchy topping:
- Cook macaroni according to the instructions on the package. Drain, let sit covered.
- In a large skillet (I used 11" cast iron skillet), melt butter.
- Add flour and whisk it in. Cook for 30 to 40 seconds on medium heat, until the flour absorbs the butter and bubbles up.
- Gradually add milk, slowly pouring 1/4 of a cup at a time, letting the sauce thicken after each addition. Repeat until all milk is added.
- Add cheese and stir in with a wooden spoon until the cheese is melted.
- Add macaroni and stir in until all macaroni is coated with creamy cheese sauce.
- Add salt, pepper and crushed red peppers.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large mixing cup, stir together melted butter, breadcrumbs and crushed tortilla chips. Sprinkle over the mac and cheese.
- Place in the oven and bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until the top is golden brown and the edges start to bubble.
- Garnish with jalapeno slices.
- Let sit 5 minutes.