Monday, March 10, 2014

Fastnauchts

I tried to find my usual fastnaught recipe yesterday and I couldn't.  So I just happened to be searching through a cookbook I had, and I found a Buffalo based recipe.  So I tried it.  They turned out very well.  I made the dough in my stand mixer at night.  Then I let rise for about a 1/2 hour before putting the dough in the refrigerator.  Then in the morning I took out the dough, and let it warm up.  Then I rolled it out and let it rise while I heated up the oil.  Then I fried them at 375 on the stove for a few minutes until they were brown on each side.

Mix 1.5 cups flour with 1/3 cups sugar and one packet of yeast and a dash of salt in the  mixer while 1 3/4 cups milk and 1/4 cup shortening is warming on the stove.  Then once its warm (the shortening doesn't need to melt), add the mixture to the mixer along with 1 egg.  Mix 2 minutes and then add more flour.  Mix another 2 minutes.  Then I added enough flour to make a soft dough and continued to mix with the dough mix until it came together.  I put it in a pam sprayed bowl with a cover after it was finished.  Delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment