Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Creamy Seafood Pasta and Turtle Rolls

Not that the two really go together, but we enjoyed both. I made this pasta with a few changes. I eliminated the shrimp and replaced the mushrooms with broccoli and cauliflower. I also used the Campbells Heathy New England Clam Chowder. It was very good and I think we prefer this to the version with the cream of mushroom soup. I also did not puree together, I just mixed with a whisk to keep the potato chunks from the soup.

Creamy Seafood Pasta (from Betty Crocker)
16 oz uncooked linguine
1 can (18.5 oz) Progresso® Traditional New England clam chowder
1 cup milk
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (2 oz)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 lb uncooked peeled deveined large shrimp, tails peeled
1 package (8 oz) sliced fresh mushrooms (3 cups)
4 medium green onions, chopped (1/4 cup)
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
Salt and pepper to taste, if desired
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (2 oz), if desired

In 5- to 6-quart Dutch oven, cook linguine as directed on package. Drain well; return to Dutch oven and cover to keep warm.
Meanwhile, in blender, place clam chowder, milk, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese and the garlic; blend on medium speed until mixture is smooth. Set aside.
In 12-inch nonstick skillet or wok, heat oil over medium-high heat until hot. Add shrimp, mushrooms and onions; cook about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until shrimp turn pink.
Stir in pepper flakes and soup mixture; cook until thoroughly heated. Stir in parsley. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Pour over cooked linguine in Dutch oven; toss gently to coat. Top individual servings with Parmesan cheese.
Makes 8 servings (1 1/4 cups each)

I've made this bread several times before, but I decided I wanted to see if it would turn into rolls. They were excellent! I did the dough in the bread machine on the dough cycle, took the dough out, and divided into 12 portions. I stuck a rolo in the center of each (eliminated the carmels) and rolled into balls. I put in the pan and let rise for about 1 hour. Then I baked them at 375 for approx 14 minutes. I would make them again. I did make a few changes I will note below.

Turtle Bread
1 cup plus 1 tablespoon water
10 caramels I eliminated this
2 2/3 cups Gold Medal® Better for Bread™ flour
2 tablespoons dry milk
1 tablespoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons bread machine or quick active dry yeast I used 2 1/4 tsp of yeast
1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans I used heath toffee bits instad of nuts

Measure carefully, placing all ingredients except chocolate chips and pecans in bread machine pan in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Add chocolate chips and pecans at the Raisin/Nut signal or 5 minutes before the last kneading cycle ends.
Select Sweet or Basic/White cycle. Use Medium or Light crust color. Remove baked bread from pan, and cool on wire rack.
Makes 1 loaf (1 1/2 lb), 12 slices

No comments:

Post a Comment