Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Egg Rolls

I think I found my new obsession! Egg rolls. I finally bought some wonton wrappers and decided to try them. I used this recipe as a base but made many changes. I did not use the veggies as called for. I substituted about 2 cups of broccoli slaw (I halved the recipe). I used grilled marinated chicken that was marinated in soy sauce. I cooked the slaw for about three minutes. I made the sauce and then stirred in the slaw. The sauce got kind of funny and lumped together, almost too thick so I had to add more water. But, I'm not sure it did too much for the egg roll, I don't think I would make the sauce again. I baked them as directed and dipped them in Frank's Sweet Chili Sauce. They were fabulous.

Baked Egg Rolls
Ingredients:
2 cups grated carrots
1 (14.5 ounce) can bean sprouts, drained
1/2 cup chopped water chestnuts
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1 garlic clove, minced
2 cups finely diced cooked chicken
4 teaspoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon light soy sauce
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 pinch cayenne pepper
16 egg roll wrappers*
Directions:
1.
Coat a large skillet with nonstick cooking spray; add the first six ingredients. Cook and stir over medium heat until vegetable are crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Add chicken; heat through.
2.
In a small bowl, combine cornstarch, water, soy sauce, oil, brown sugar and cayenne until smooth; stir into chicken mixture. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes; remove from the heat. Spoon 1/4 cup of chicken mixture on the bottom third of one egg roll wrapper; fold sides toward center and roll tightly. Place seam side down on a baking sheet coated with nonstick cooking spray. Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling. Spray tops of egg rolls with nonstick cooking spray. Bake at 425 degrees F for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment