Monday, March 11, 2013

Dr Pepper BBQ Sauce

I made this sauce this weekend and we really enjoyed it. I don't like DR. Pepper but this was good. I used 1/2 the vinegar because I'm not a vinegar person. The recipe makes a ton. I put it on chicken drumsticks.

Dr. Pepper BBQ Sauce


http://www.theblackpeppercorn.com/2013/02/dr-pepper-bbq-sauce/

Ingredients

2 tbsp butter

1 onion, minced

½ cup red pepper, minced (I used green pepper)

5 garlic cloves, minced

½ cup molasses

1 can (355 ml) Dr. Pepper soda pop

½ cup vinegar (I used 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar).

1½ cup brown sugar (I used dark)

1 tsp salt

½ tsp black pepper

1½ cups tomato paste



Instructions

Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the onion, red pepper, garlic to the saucepan and saute until they are tender and beginning to caramelize, about 8 minutes.

Add the molasses, Dr. Pepper, brown sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Let it cook with a low rolling boil for about 10 minutes. Stir occasionally so that nothing sticks to the bottom of the saucepan.

Stir in the tomato paste and lower the heat. Let the sauce simmer for 30 minutes, stirring every few minutes.

Remove from the heat and let the sauce cool to room temperature.

Puree in a blender until smooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment