Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Apple Pie

I have a couple of versions of apple pie that I use, however I think I finally perfected this one.  When I used to make it, it always came out soupy.  But the past two times I've made it it was not soupy and also it baked the bottom crust.  I've been baking the pies on my stone in an aluminum pan.  Seems to help make a nice crisp crust.

Apple Crumb Pie

Here is the recipe that I followed.  I will note my changes:

Ingredients

Crust:
  • 1 refrigerated ready-to-bake pie crust (from a 15-oz box) [I made my own crust]
Crumb Topping:
  • 1/2 cup(s) plus 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup(s) packed light-brown sugar
  • cup(s) granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon(s) ground cinnamon
  • 1 stick(s) (1/2 cup) cold butter, cut in small pieces
Filling:
  • 7 medium to large tart apples (about 3 1/4 lb), such as Granny Smith, Pippins or Greenings I used about 7 small to medium apples, 2 were green and the rest macintosh.
  • 1 tablespoon(s) lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup(s) granulated sugar
  • 3 tablespoon(s) all-purpose flour I used cornstarch instead of flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon(s) ground cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon(s) ground nutmeg I eliminated this
  • I added 3 tbsp of tapioca

  • Have ready a 9-in. pie plate and a baking sheet. Place oven rack in lowest position in oven. Heat oven to 450°F.
  • Make Crust: Line pie plate with pie crust as package directs. Flute or crimp edge.
  • Make Crumb Topping: Mix flour, sugars and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender (or rub in with fingertips) until mixture forms moist, coarse crumbs that clump together easily.
  • Make Filling: Peel, quarter and core apples. Cut in 1⁄8-in.-thick slices by hand (or with slicing disk of a food processor). Put into a large bowl. Toss with lemon juice to coat. Mix remaining ingredients in a small bowl. Sprinkle over apple slices; toss to coat.
  • Layer apple slices in pie shell, mounding them higher in center. Pat topping evenly over apples to form a top crust.  I also added some of the crumble into the apples.  It is way to much to fit on top without it all going all over the place.
  • Place pie on the baking sheet to catch any drips. Bake 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F and bake 45 minutes longer or until a skewer meets some resistance when center of pie is pierced (apples will continue to cook after pie is removed from oven) and topping is golden brown. If topping is browning too quickly, drape a piece of foil over pie. Cool pie completely on a wire rack before serving. I baked an additional 10 minutes.






  • Read more: Apple Crunch Pie at WomansDay.com- Dessert Recipes - Woman's Day

    No comments:

    Post a Comment