Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Buffalo Chicken Lasagna

I made this for my son's birthday and it was definetely the best thing I've had in awhile.  Matter of fact, we've already eaten the one serving only that was left over from the party.  I did make a few changes to the recipe.

Buffalo Chicken Lasagna (from Taste of Home Magazine)

  • 1 tablespoon canola oil
  • 1-1/2 pounds ground chicken (I used 3 buffalo chicken sausages)
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 celery rib, finely chopped
  • 1 large carrot, grated
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Hunt's® Diced Tomatoes, drained
  • 1 bottle (12 ounces) buffalo wing sauce (I used one bottle of Franks and added a stick of melted butter)
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning (I eliminated)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 9 lasagna noodles (I used about 12)
  • 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
  • 1-3/4 cups (7 ounces) crumbled blue cheese, divided (I eliminated this and served it on the side)
  • 1/2 cup minced Italian flat leaf parsley (I eliminated)
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
  • 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded white cheddar cheese (I used yellow cheddar)
  •  
  • In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add the chicken, onion, celery and carrot; cook and stir until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender. Add garlic; cook 2 minutes longer. Stir in the tomatoes, wing sauce, water, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
  • Meanwhile, cook noodles according to package directions; drain.
  • In a small bowl, mix the ricotta cheese, 3/4 cup blue cheese, parsley and egg.
  • Spread 1-1/2 cups sauce into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Layer with three noodles, 1-1/2 cups sauce, 2/3 cup ricotta mixture, 1 cup mozzarella cheese, 2/3 cup cheddar cheese and 1/3 cup blue cheese. Repeat layers twice.
  • Bake, covered, at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 20-25 minutes longer or until bubbly and cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment