Sweet Cornbread Cake (from allrecipes.com) - the "new" recipe
1 cup cornmeal
3 cups all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C), and grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Stir together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl. Pour in the vegetable oil, melted butter, honey, beaten eggs, and milk, and stir just to moisten.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, until the top of the cornbread starts to brown and show cracks.
Just wanted to edit this: baked at 350 for between 45-50 minutes in the cast iron skillet and it turned out WONDERFUL!
Edit again - 45 may have been a bit too long. Try 40 and watch carefully.
Update. Used full amount of milk. Baked cast iron skillet and two large muffins. Excellent. Skillet 30 min. Muffins 20 minutes.
Buttery Cornbread (from Taste of home ) the "old"
|2/3 cup butter, softened|
|1 cup sugar|
|3 Eggland's Best Eggs|
|1-2/3 cups 2% milk|
|2-1/3 cups all-purpose flour|
|1 cup cornmeal|
|4-1/2 teaspoons baking powder|
|1 teaspoon salt|
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Combine eggs and milk. Combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with egg mixture.
- Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake 22-27 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cut into squares; serve warm.Yield: 12-15 servings.