Jalapeno Popper Chicken Chili
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil -eliminated
- 1 small onion, diced - eliminated
- 5 jalapeno peppers diced, seeds removed (leave some seeds for extra heat) - I used 3.
- 3 cloves garlic, minced - eliminated
- salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 1 + 1/4 pound boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces - I used one whole chicken quarter
- 2 teaspoons chile powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano - eliminated
- pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1 (10 oz) can dice tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 + 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14 oz) can cannelloni or navy beans, drained
- 1 (14 oz) can corn, drained - I used frozen corn
- 8 ounces cream cheese - I used reduced fat
- 1 pound bacon, cooked crispy and crumbled, divided - I eliminated
- In a large saucepan (deep enough for soup) heat 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil over medium heat and sauté onion, jalepeno, and garlic until tender.
- Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper, then add to the saucepan adding another tablespoon of olive oil as well. Add cumin, chili powder, oregano, and crushed red pepper. Toss chicken and seasonings together and lightly brown chicken on all sides.
- Stir in can of diced tomatoes, chicken broth, corn, and cannelloni beans and increase heat to bring to a simmer. Let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir in cream cheese and stir until completely melted. Stir in 1/2 of the crumbled bacon. Remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper as needed. **Add more chicken broth if too thick.
- Serve and garnish with cheddar cheese and the rest of the crumbled bacon.